Whether you are looking at getting 2-way radios for use during hunting, to keep in touch between vehicles in a convoy, for a team to stay connected, or to use to have some fun, you want to make sure you are getting the best ones possible.
Most buyers that are looking for the best two-way radios already know the value in getting ones that will always be effective and reliable, but it can be difficult to know which products on the market will deliver.
To make the search easier we have collected together the top ten available two-way radios and all of the information that you will need to get the best results.
Features to Keep in Mind
- Size and Weight. The majority of the products on our list have been carefully designed to be as lightweight and easy to carry as possible, but some are heavier than others. While the small differences might not affect every buyer it should be considered for those that need to watch their overall gear weight.
- Charging System. Always check the battery and the charging station that is included with the product. Even the best 2-way radios can be a disappointment if they only last for a short period of time. The easiest way to check this feature is by going to trusted reviews.
- Distance. On our list, we have included the range of the radio. It is crucial to remember that the advertised range is what the radios can achieve under the absolute best circumstances. Usually, the radios will be tested on flat and empty terrain.
This means that when you are looking at the distance you should consider the range in regards to the type of terrain you will be using them in. With only a few hills and trees, the range will be greatly reduced, sometimes up to 2 miles.
Top 10 Two-Way Radios Comparison Table
Key Tips on Choosing Between the 2-Way Radios
One of the biggest problems that any two-way radio users will have is when they are in a crowded area and there are not enough channels to use. This can not only be frustrating but can actually be dangerous when serious assistance is needed or communication is vital.
To avoid this you should look for two features in the various radios:
- Number of Channels. It is obvious that the more available channels on the radio the better. The radios on our list come with the choice of 22, 36 or 50 channels.
- Privacy Codes. While the number of channels is important, the next feature you should look at is the number of privacy codes that are included. This is when you can tune to a specific channel and then enter a code to get a private line on that channel. Even those radios with only 22 channels will have a huge number of possible lines if they come with a large number of privacy codes.
- Pro Tip. Look for ones with channel scanner if you are not going to be in contact at all times. This will also save you when you need to suddenly switch channel and are not able to confirm the new line of communication.
Top 3 Best Two-Way Radios Reviews
The Midland GXT2050CP4 radios are designed to be durable and reliable. They are perfect for long distance communication of any kind. As this pair is camouflaged, it is clear that these have been marketed for hunting, but they would also be great for any family trip where the group splits up.
The sound quality that you get at any distance really can’t be beaten. Every word will come through clearly and you can rely on these radios to last for a long time so they will never let you down at the end of a heavy day of use.
The charger is standard so it is easy to get your radios charged and also buy another charger if you ever run into trouble. These are really easy radios to figure out and set up too, which makes it easy to use them often and makes you want to use them a lot.
The Midland LXT500VP3 are the best two-way radios for any kind of constant radio use. They come with a standing charger that you just set the radios in to charge. The light will indicate whether or not they are charging and when they are ready to go.
The sleek black color makes them great for staying in communication at places like ski resorts or on hiking trips, really any time you have different groups that need to stay in contact with ease. These radios have a low and high power setting so you can even stay in control of how much power you are using as this set has a 24-mile range that isn’t always necessary.
This kind of extreme range is a great feature to have, especially if there is a change that the two partied in communication might get a little lost and need to have some way to get back or to stay in touch.
Many companies and commercial businesses use the Midland LXT600VP3 radios to keep their staff organized and connected. These radios come in black, camo and yellow, so you can choose the right color for your environment and needs.
You can either use the rechargeable battery packs that come with these radios or you can use AAA batteries instead but the rechargeable ones work really well and will last for a long time, depending on how frequently you use the radios throughout the day.
One of the best things about these radios is that you can use a set of two to stay in communication with others but you can also buy more of the same radios and they will all be able to work together. This means you can have many different people using the radios for larger groups.