The best radar detector under $100 is one that is just as effective as the more expensive options without the high price tag. This might mean sacrificing some added features or quality of the screen but the detecting capabilities of the equipment should always remain intact.
We have come up with a list of some of the most popular and well-reviewed models on the market. These are all models that work effectively and efficiently. To decide which is the best radar detector under $100 for you we have also included some buying tips and tricks so you can make an informed purchase.
Things You Have to Know About Radar Detectors
There are two main kinds of radar detectors that can be found for under $100; sometimes they even come in combination.
- Digital Radar Detectors. Are small and the most basic models do not have any additional features. These small digital radar detectors are perfect for drivers that don’t speed often but so not want to get caught when they do. This basic option can detect when a radar gun is being used to catch drivers speeding but it cannot detect a laser gun.
- Laser Detectors. Are a combination that can determine when a laser or radar gun is nearby. This option commonly has more features than the basic radar gun. These can include warning a driver that a red light is coming up or if there is a tricky intersection on the road ahead. These are often more expensive but are the best option for drivers that have been caught speeding many times or speed more often than not.
Top 6 Radar Detectors Under $100 Table
What Makes a Good Radar Detector?
After you have determined which radar detectors are the most effective, the best one for you comes down to the features that it includes. There are basic models that simply ring when there has been a detection made or models that are more complicated with features such as:
- Voice Activation. This is a feature that can be used with Bluetooth or any smartphone.
- GPS Enabled. This feature means that the detector will be able to more accurately place your car on the road and alert you of red lights, speed traps and possible construction.
- Personalization. Some of the more expensive detectors can be completely personalized to the driver in terms of where it is mounted, the brightness of the lights and more.
Top 3 Best Radar Detector Under $100 Reviews
The Whistler XTR-145 is a basic radar detector that gets the job done without any added features that you may not need. The detector itself provides good sensitivity and range that will keep you protected from being pulled over but there is little to no possibility for adjusting the model.
This detector has different icons that display different things as well as alert sounds. This is great to have in any of the different highway and city modes. This model is really good to use if you are ever concerned about how the model will affect your car battery. This model shuts on and off with the car so you will only really notice that it is there when it is alerting you of a threat.
One of the things that make the Cobra XRS9470 so good is that it is able to detect and alert you in more than enough time to correct your speed before being clocked or caught out by the police. This kind of effectiveness is the main draw to this model, but it should also be noted that it is solidly built and can be relied on at all times to keep you in the know about potential radar guns in the area. This is a model that would be best used in the country or in rural areas where the law enforcement are around but there are also a lot of empty roads that invite opening up.
The different modes that the Whistler XTR-265 provides make it more effective as a tool. The detector will better be able to make a distinction between guns that are checking for speed and false alarms. Whether you are normally within the speed limit or are a regular speeder, this is an effective tool that can help you avoid traps and absentminded speeding and then getting caught. Considering the low price and the overall usefulness, you will get more than your money’s worth out of this model.