The party is just about to begin and you’ve prepared a great playlist for the event on your phone or iPod. You reach for your new auxiliary cable to make it all come together. So far so good. As you turn up the volume, your favourite tracks seem to crackle and splutter out of your speakers. Disaster! What could have caused this? Surely not your new aux cable? Unfortunately, the quality of your average auxiliary cable is not readily apparent at first glance. Auxiliary cables are not created equal and in most cases, that generic, cheap cable you picked up on the way home is just not going to cut it.
In this article, we’ll walk through the process of picking the best aux cable which will ensure crisp, crystal-clear music for years to come. Call it a small investment in your listening pleasure. So, let’s begin.
Choose the Best Aux Cable the First Time Around!
Let’s start with the basics. Auxiliary cables, or aux cables, are nifty (and essential) additions to any audiophile’s music hardware. Ultimately, an aux cable easily transmits your music, which is converted into electrical signal by your music device, to your car, HI-FI or any other music system where it’s decoded and amplified for your listening pleasure. Thus, the quality of the aux cable is essential to making sure the integrity of your music remains constant. Fortunately, professional grade aux cables are available to the public at very affordable prices and are well worth the investment.
In this section, we’ll discuss some added perks to look out for in your prospective purchase.
- Quality Materials. As with many products, the sum of an aux cable’s worth is measured by the quality of its parts. The best aux cable is made of high-quality, corrosion-resistant (oxygen-free) copper wiring which ensures efficient data transfer from one end of the cable to the other as well as increasing its lifespan overall. Highly conductive alloys or gold coated connecting pins also make a huge difference for the proper conduction of high-quality Ensure your aux cable has both of these for the best possible purchase.
- Plug-Angle. You plug in your aux cable into the aux socket of your car or stereo and the wire is sticking right out you, getting tangled for your handbrake. Irritating I know (and just a tad unsafe). A 90° bend in at the input/output plug can make using your aux cable in confined spaces a comfortable and simply a pleasure.
- Jacket Quality. The jacket of your aux cable refers to the rubberized insulated portion which encompassed the copper wiring within. This region of the aux cable generally receives the most wear and tear from multiple bends, stretches and knotting. Therefore, a high quality, durable jacket will better protect the vital copper innards of your cable allowing for a super amount of time it can be used. Many brands also sport specialised jackets such as tangle resistant and flat jackets which can be purchased at the discretion of the consumer.
- Length. As electric current moves through a conductive material it loses electrons due to resistance. Thus, the longer the signal has to travel, the greater amount of audio-data is lost. So keeping this in mind, ensure that your aux cable isn’t unnecessarily long and keen your tunes sounding clear and sweet.
- Step-Down Design. Some devices, particularly the smaller variety, require a specific “step-down” design to allow the male connecting-pin to securely be connected to the aux port. The tight fit allows for the preservation of audio quality in these devices as well as prevents damage to both the device and cable.
Top 10 Aux Cables Table
Top 3 Best Aux Cord Reviews
The Anker 3.5mm Nylon Braided Auxiliary Audio Cable is a phenomenal product for any audio enthusiast. Made of high-quality materials such as those used in top headphone brands and having 24 carat gold plated contacts makes this the best aux cable available. Its Kevlar-reinforced insulating jacket has been found to be incredibly durable having a 10 000 plus bend life span, which is several times more superior to its nearest competitor. Its tangle free cord also allows for hassle-free use. Its ultra-thin extensions allow for a superior fit to almost all audio devices.
Taken together, all of these features allow for crisp, interference-free listening experience which has the added benefit of being under warranty for 18 months.
For a sturdier buy, the iXCC 4Ft Male to Male 3.5mm Universal Auxiliary Audio Stereo Cable is a great purchase. With features such as dual shielding, superior quality metal connectors and gold plated connecting pins (which are incredibly corrosion resistant) this aux cable will be able to handle even the most strenuous of use. Its tangle free design also assists in the easy storage of this product, whilst its highly flexible protective jacket allows it be stored in small spaces with little chance of damage.
This product is available in 3, 6, and 10 feet varieties catering for all your audio needs.
The FRiEQ 3.5mm Male to Male Car and Home Stereo Cloth Jacketed Tangle-Free Auxiliary Audio Cable (4 Feet/1.2M) is another product which is tough to discredit. A beautifully crafty product with a bevelled step-down design allows for fantastic use with all devices, particularly designed for those in protective cases.
Its superior gold-plated connectors ensure that the signal transduction from the audio device to your car/speaker remains perfect whilst its double-shielding ensures an incredibly low signal to noise ration. Its tangle free design also makes it a breeze to store and its braided design makes it a hardy product indeed.